If You Prepare 1040’s or 1041’s,
You Better Beware of the Traps Found Last Year
In the New Form 8960
(Reporting Net Investment Income Tax)
This IRS Form was first issued for 2013 and initially looked pretty straightforward. But, in the last couple of tax seasons, many practitioners found that there are lots of glitches, complex issues, and worse yet, traps!
Whether or not you’ve already prepared Form 8960, join us and one of the nation’s leading tax experts, Robert Keebler, CPA/MST, MST, AEP (Distinguished), CGMA for a practical, step-by-step, line-by-line explanation of how to prepare the Form 8960. This special series of two 90-minute presentations, entitled “Properly Preparing the Form 8960 (Net Investment Income Tax)”, will include Bob’s insightful analysis of the following key issues:
- Taxation of portfolio investments for individuals and trusts
- Interaction with Form 8582 – Passive Loss Rules
- Reporting real estate income and losses, including self-rental properties
- Regrouping and 469 elections to meet the material participation tests
- Reporting the sale of closely-held businesses
- Reporting passive and non-passive business income
- Computing state income tax deductions for the NIIT
- Computing properly allocable deductions
- Understanding the section 67 and section 68 limitations on deductions
- Determining the applicable percentage of net operating losses
- Making the 65 day election
- Determining NIIT DNI for trusts and estates
- Planning distributions for estates and trusts
- And a line-by-line walk-through of the form so that you can know what to watch out for to avoid hidden traps!
- Program Title: Properly Preparing the Form 8960 (Net Investment Income Tax)
- Speaker: Robert S. Keebler
- Duration: 90 Minutes
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Robert S. Keebler
CPA/PFS, MST, AEP (Distinguished), CGMA
Robert S. Keebler, CPA/PFS, MST, AEP (Distinguished), CGMA is a partner with Keebler & Associates, LLP and is a 2007 recipient of the prestigious Accredited Estate Planners (Distinguished) award from the National Association of Estate Planning Counsels. He has been named by CPA Magazine as one of the Top 100 Most Influential Practitioners in the United States and one of the Top 40 Tax Advisors to Know During a Recession. Mr. Keebler is the past Editor-in-Chief of CCH’s magazine, Journal of Retirement Planning, and a member of CCH’s Financial and Estate Planning Advisory Board. His practice includes family wealth transfer…
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING CE CREDIT
The Ultimate Estate Planner, Inc. and the presenter are not registered Continuing Education Sponsors and this program is not pre-approved for continuing education credit for any state or regulatory agency.
However, please note that each program includes a Certificate of Completion and, depending on the license and the regulatory agency for which governs a participant’s CE credit, some professionals may be able to self-report his or her participation and receive credit. It is the responsibility of the participant to complete any process necessary to seek self-reported CE credit for his or her participation. By registering for a teleconference (or purchasing on On-Demand program), you understand that CE credit is not guaranteed or warranted by the presenter or The Ultimate Estate Planner, Inc.